Hey guess what!
Turns out crab cakes are kinda easy to make.
Talk about fancy…pinkies out, my friends.
I hope you’re not offended by canned crab.
The meat is very shredded and doesn’t produce cakes with chunks like I really wanted…
but they were tasty, so we forgave them.
They satisfied my crazy crab craving with welcome freshness from green onions, requisite old bay flavor, just enough heat from the cayenne and a satisfying panko crunch.
Let’s do this thing.
We’ll start with a bowl full of green onions which are pretty.
Savor this moment because this is the last of the pretty involved in creating these delicious/hideous lumps of brown.
Next up: Mayo and spices!
Ok that’s still pretty I lied.
Then bring on the cracker crumbles, egg and of course the crab!
Patty into cakes, baker man.
Then coat with panko and pan fry until they’re golden brown and delicious!
Yeah. I just made a Spongebob Squarepants reference.
It won’t happen again!
Serve em up with a drizzle of lemon, a schmear of cocktail sauce, and some chili roasted broccoli!
Which is pretty.
Enjoy a taste of the sea in this freak October snow (what the heck!?!)
Recipe slightly adapted from My Crab Cakes
- Peanut oil or vegetable oil for pan frying
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) cans canned crab meat, very well drained
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard (you could use regular mustard if you wanted to)
- 1 sleeve buttery round crackers, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (this may be a bit too much cayenne for some…just add 1/4 tsp or omit it entirely if you don’t like spicy. we thought it added the perfect amount of heat)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning TM (or more to taste)
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs..they’re the best for that satisfying crunch)
- Combine crab meat, green onions, egg, mayonnaise, dry mustard, crushed crackers, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, Old Bay seasoning, salt and pepper…just throw it all in a bowl and stir. Aren’t those the best recipes!?
- Form into 1/2 inch thick patties. Coat the patties with panko bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook cakes until golden brown on each side. Drain briefly on paper towels and serve hot.
- Daniel suggested adding shrimp next time to kick up the chunk factor. The shredded crab tasted good but we did miss the chunks of crab.
- I think some diced red pepper would add some much needed color.
Chili Roasted Broccoli
- 1 head of broccoli
- about a tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili flakes
- salt to taste
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Remove the heads of the broccoli from the stalks
3. Toss the heads with olive oil, chili flakes and salt
4. Spread on a cookie sheet and roast for about 10 minutes or until they start to brown
2 responses to “Crab Cake Feasting”
Yummy! Cant wait to try this one either!
Also, I really like your new webpage layout and picture size 🙂
haha thank you thank you…finally got the picture sitch under control