There was a time when absolutely nothing could convince me to eat tomato soup.
Not even goldfish crackers.
The soup just ruined the crackers as far as I was concerned.
Red mystery substance that tasted like…not tomatoes?
For those of you who swear by canned tomato soup…let me convert you.
I’m amazed by how easy this is.
Do you have a can of crushed tomatoes in your pantry?
If you do, then you ALSO have tomato soup!
Soup from a can that says crushed tomatoes is WAY better than the stuff from the can that says tomato soup.
Plus people will think you’re fancy because you MADE tomato soup.
I won’t tell if you won’t….there’s nothing fancy/difficult/gourmet about this.
It just tastes that way =)
So! Time me. Ready. Set. GO!
First: cook up some onions
Throw in a little thyme while you’re at it!
I had some mushrooms leftover and decided that would be good too.
That’s happening every time now.
Next comes tomatoes + milk
I’m not a huge creamy soup fan but the half cup of milk gives it juuuuust the right touch
Then all you do is stir in some pesto and let it heat through.
Seriously. That’s all.
Even awesome-er with hunks of bread spread with a bit of pesto, topped with Parmesan cheese, and broiled.
((I used cheddar garlic bread from Great Harvest! Cheating? Maybe. Also delicious.))
Dunk a hunk of crusty cheesy bread in a mug full of steaming soup
Look at those chunks of mushroom, onion and tomato!
Look at that cheese!
That DEFINITELY tastes like tomato.
And it only took you like half an hour if you’re slow!!
What rainy day?
Suddenly it’s warm in here.
Easiest Tomato Soup Ever
About half an onion
About 1 cup chopped mushrooms
28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup milk or cream
3 tablespoons pesto
salt and thyme to taste
1. Saute onions with thyme in a large pot until the onions are soft and transparent
2. Add mushrooms to the pan and cook until softened
2. Add the tomatoes, water and cream, simmer 20 minutes
3. Stir in pesto at the end
- You could puree the final product if you want but I prefer chunky soup
- The crushed tomatoes, water and milk are the only necessaries here. That could be the whole deal if you like it that way. You could add anything you want. Garlic? Crushed red? A million other vegetables? Whatever. Go crazy! Let me know if you hit on a winner
Special thanks to our guest photographer! The one and only Daniel. Thanks for the action shots!