That title is how I got around sending out an e-mail with the title “Date Balls.”
That’s a ticket straight to the spam folder if I ever saw one. So…hey, inbox. Nice to see you (I hope).
Ok, I know you’re thinking this is weird.
It’s not weird. At all. I promise. It’s good. Reeeaaally good.
I’ve seen these things everywhere with every different flavor and add-in you can imagine…
..except this one.
Turns out I’m happiest with just 3 ingredients:
3. Peanut Butter. (Also peanuts for some crunch..same thing)
Might as well be a peanut butter brownie.
And I might as well be in heaven.
And also slightly ball-shaped from eating WAYYYYY too many of these. Good thing they’re nutritious? Or something?
P.S. Don’t be afraid of the dates! They just add sweetness and let the whole mess stick together. They seriously taste like a super fudgy peanut butter brownie. Delicious.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Date Balls
Recipe inspired by basically every blog out there…but the “recipe” is all my own.
10 pitted mejdool dates
3 tablespoons peanut butter, maybe a tablespoon chopped peanuts if you want some crunch
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (plus extra for rolling)
1. Place the pitted dates in a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse until the dates have been reduced to roughly pea sized pieces.
2. Add cocoa powder and peanut butter. Pulse until combined. ((If you want to add the peanuts throw them in at the very end and pulse just once or twice)) The mixture will look crumbly but it is ready when you can press it into ball shapes that hold together.
3. Press the mixture into whatever size ball you want. This recipe made eight 1-inch balls.
4. Roll in cocoa powder (or topping of your choice…crushed peanuts?) to prevent sticking.
**These are delicious at room temperature but if you want to freeze them (which I recommend!) spread them out on a wax-paper lined baking sheet and freeze for about an hour. Once they are partially frozen you can throw them all in a bag or even individually wrap them. They’re an awesome grab and go snack or delicious sweet bite for dessert. Feel free to experiment with flavors!
6 responses to “Secret Ingredient Chocolate-Peanut Butter Fix”
Ellen, you could also use Almond butter and almonds,sprinkle a little of cardamom in the mix, make them into bars, yummy.
wow that sounds awesome! looks like I know what my next version will be..thanks!
these are my new favorite- especially since I can’t do dairy anymore. yum!
Oh good I’m so glad! I didn’t even think of that but you’re right…this is a great dairy free chocolatey treat!
So good! I made them today with almonds but I think I want to make them with pecans next time. I’m on a no-sugar diet but the sugar in the dates is fine so they are the perfect fix to the 3pm chocolate craving.
Awesome I’m so glad they worked out! Oh man…pecans…I’m gonna have to try that for sure